enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Art Theatre

alias Maxim Gorky Theatre, Московский Художественный академический театр
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1898 | opening
It opened in 1898 with A. K. Tolstoy's Tsar Feodor Ivanovich.

People

(detail)Anna Semyonovna Golubkina |sculptor
Her bas relief The Wave installed on the facade of Moscow Art Theatre was considered a symbol of Russian Modernism.

History

This famous theatre, now dedicated to Maxim Gorky, is the best-known of all Russian theatrical organizations outside the U.S.S.R. Founded by Stanislavsky and Nemiro-vich-Danchenko, its early history is closely bound up with that of Chekhov.

In 1968 the company moved into a new theatre, built on the site of the old one but much larger, and having in addition to the main auditorium, holding 1,800 people, a smaller one for rehearsals, two for recordings, and a drama museum.

 

In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.  ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 366

 

 

Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

twopluseight=