enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1629 | opening
The theatre was roofed and built by Richard Gunnell and William Blagrove at a cost of £1000. No authentic views have been preserved to the present day.
(detail)1642 | closure

(detail)1666 | fire
Destroyed by the Great Fire in 1666.

History

The last theatre to open in London before the Civil War. Built of brick, it was a 'private' roofed playhouse on the site of the present Salisbury Square, Fleet Street, and was used by the King's Men from its opening in 1629 till 1631. They were followed by Prince Charles's Men — the second company of that name—who remained in possession until 1635, and were succeeded by Queen Henrietta's Men, who were still there when the theatres closed in 1642. During the Commonwealth surreptitious perform­ances were given at Salisbury Court, but the interior fittings were destroyed by soldiers in Mar. 1649. William Beeston restored the theatre in 1660 and ran a company there from 1663 to 1664. It was burned down in the Great Fire of London in 1666.

 

In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.   ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 490

 

 

Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

threeminusone=