enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Teatru Manoel

alias Royal Theatre
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1731 | construction

History

An eighteenth-century playhouse built by the Grand Master Antonio de Vilhena in 1731. It opened a year later with a performance of Maffei's Merope, and flourished for a century or more with a nine-month season of mixed opera and plays. Renamed the Royal Theatre by the British occupying powers, it continued pre-eminent until the building of the much larger Opera House, after which it sank into disrepair. In the 1953 steps were taken to restore it. It was bought by the Maltese Government, and in 1957 a committee was set up to rebuild and modernize it backstage while retaining the historic auditorium and facade. On 27 Dec. 1960 it reopened as the National Theatre of Malta with a season by the Ballet Rambert.

In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.   ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 333

 

 

 

Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fourplustwo=