enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | CS

Theatre of Petr Bezruč

Josef Dostál

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1924 | Construction
The building, in which the Theatre of Petr Bezruč operates in the present days, was constructed in 1924 according to the design by foreman bricklayer Josef Dostál from Moravská Ostrava.
(detail)1926 | Reconstruction
The space was converted for cinema use already in 1926 for the first time. The corner two-storey house contained a hall of an oblong plan with a flat ceiling and small rectangular stage.
(detail)1990 | Opening
The house began to serve for administration and operation of the Theatre of Petr Bezruč that used to play until 1961 in the neighbouring Culture House of Ostrava Working People. The Theatre left the House of Culture Ostrava in 1990 and moved into its former operational room.
(detail)10. 's 21. century | Reconstruction
Reconstruction of the building including the technical background was carried out in the season of 2011-2012 and was designed by atelier Simona from Ostrava.

People

Josef Dostál |main architect

History

The building, in which the Theatre of Petr Bezruč operates in the present days, was constructed in 1924 according to the design by foreman bricklayer Josef Dostál from Moravská Ostrava for the First Fellowship of Czech Riflemen. The building, architecturally unpretentious and with no artistic ambition,  reflected influence of Traditionalism, new Classicism and vicariously of Czech Art Deco in the layout of pilaster strips in the level of “masonry” execution of the  building.  The space was converted for cinema use already in 1926 for the first time. The corner two-storey house, which main wing was originally intended to be of three stories, contained a hall of an oblong plan with a flat ceiling and small rectangular stage. There was a restaurant called Riflemen House from the 1920s, later converted into Blaník tavern and that was also the name of the cinema, which was operating here until 1926. The building was owned by the Czech Joint-Stock Brewery in the 1930 and converted in 1953 for needs of military department of the Technical University in Ostrava. Triangular gables were removed at that time as well as a steel plated turret on the top of the roof of the side wing that served for air conditioning. A studio of the Czechoslovak television had a seat here in the 1960s.

After the TV had moved out to a new seat in the centre of Ostrava, the house began to serve for administration and operation of the Theatre of Petr Bezruč that used to play until 1961 in the neighbouring Culture House of Ostrava Working People (House of Culture Ostrava). There were workshops here apart of offices, for instance three workshops were approved for use in 1979: joinery, painting and locksmith's rooms. The Theatre of Petr Bezruč left the House of Culture Ostrava in 1990 and moved into the operational room of the former  Riflemen House, respectively Blaník. The theatre in a form of an allowance organization of the Ostrava city was operating here until 1997, when this organization was dissolved by the municipality.  The tenant of the theatre became an independently operating “ Theatre Company of Petr Bezruč” since the season 1997-1998 under the same name. Ostrava city supported the theatre operation with a multi-year grant. Reconstruction of the building including the technical background was carried out in the season of 2011-2012 and was designed by atelier Simona from Ostrava.

Present state

The building on the corner of 28th October and Janovského streets is composed of two wings, each with a distinctive layout. The main two storey wing  is  oriented towards 28th October Avenue by its entrance facade and the side wing faces Janovského Street, both provided with cellars. The main wing facade is divided into eight axes that are separated by two entrances with barrel vaults and two-leaf doors in the level of the ground floor in the rhythm of 2+1+2+1+2. The ground floor has three-leaf  windows. Two leaf windows, only a bit narrower, were inserted in the first floor. Stucco mirrors are used on the window parapets. Individual axes of the front facade are separated by banded pilaster strips that are moderately moulded. The so arranged high order of pilaster strips is raised on a continuous plinth and supports a simple continuous cornice above the windows of the first floor.  

    

There is a walled roof parapet that is unarticulated and topped by a shallow crowning cornice. The side facade of the main wing towards Janovského Street has similar expression. It is articulated by four window axes, separated by a high order of pilaster strips, composed of individual strips and cornices that are identically conceived. The facade of the side wing is attached to this section of the front facade. The side wing is of one storey and contains a theatre hall, stage and theatre background. It is oriented towards Janovského Street by its five blinded windows of the hall with preserved window mouldings on the facade. It is perceptible on them that the windows had originally discharging arches. The side facade is closed with  a shallow bay with a staff entrance that is moderately exceeded in the area of the stage and background.  

The building contains a main theatre hall and small studio stage as well in the basement that is called Márnice. The main hall is a studio stage being painted black and with an auditorium of 12 x 14 m dimension with a capacity of 135 seats on an inbuilt floor slope that is variable. The Márnice has a capacity of approximately 30 spectators. The stage of 5 x 7 dimension with a proscenium arch of 5,5 width is furnished with a black textile curtain with a black cyclorama. The height of the stage from the floor to fly bars is 5 meters. It is equipped by a variable slope, rostrums and boards. A lighting and sound booth is inserted in the rear part of the auditorium.

 

Sources and literature:

Úřad městského obvodu Moravská Ostrava a Přívoz, spisovna Stavebního úřadu, katastrální území Moravská Ostrava, složka čp. 1701.

JŠt [Štefanides, Jiří]: Divadelní budovy a sály, in: Kulturněhistorická encyklopedie Slezska a severovýchodní Moravy I. (A-M); Ostrava 2005, s, 192.

JŠt [Štefanides, Jiří]: Divadlo Petra Berzuče (1945-dosud), in: Kulturněhistorická encyklopedie Slezska a severovýchodní Moravy I. (A-M); Ostrava 2005, s, 200-201.

Parametry a vybavení jeviště, světelný park, zvukové vybavení, in: http://www.bezruci.cz/prostor/, stav k 10. 1. 2013.

 

Tags: First Czechoslovak Republic, Neoclassicism

 

Author: Strakoš Martin

Translator: Jan Purkert

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fiveplusthree=