enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | CS

Radar Theatre

František Kubelka

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1937 | Opening
The Radar Theatre is located in the building, which was constructed by the Reformed Catholic according to the design by architect František  Kubelka. The entire structure, composed from two corners four-storeys rental houses, was opened to public in 1937.  The theatre hall is located in the basement area.

People

František Kubelka |main architect

History

The Radar Theatre is located in the building, which was constructed by the Reformed Catholic Church – ( the Czechoslovak Hussite Church in the present days) according to the design by architect František  Kubelka. This church that came into existence in the 1920s had an array of new buildings be built during the interwar Czechoslovakia, on which also very important Czech modern architects participated as the designers (for instance Pavel Janák or Josef Gočár).  The Czechoslovak Church was building its structures rather as community centres than temples. Also theatre halls were often a part of a complex besides congregations, offices or columbaria. The entire structure, composed from two corners four-storeys rental houses  containing a central five-storey house in between, topped with a symbol of a chalice, was opened to public in Holešovice in 1937. The middle main structure with the ground floor, faced by marble, contains an impressive theatre hall topped by a glass cupola and a columbarium in the underground below it. The theatre hall is located in the basement area, individually accessible from the side of the right wing of the building. Here, there is adjoined a ground floor with a display window and entry into the underground area through a staircase. A spectator reaches the first basement first through stairs, where a room with a cash desk is located (the room could be used as a rehearsal room or theatre cafe as well). Further from here, one can enter into the second basement – a foyer with a small cloak room. It is possible to enter into the theatre hall without floor gradient and with an elevated stage through three two-leaf doors. A simple, originally Functionalist hall is enclosed by a balcony from three sides. The actor’s background is accessible from the theatre foyer.
The theatre is administered by the House of children and young of Prague 7 in the present days and it is known mainly because of the Ty-já-tr ensemble, which was founded by Radka Tesárková. The theatre is specialized mainly in work with children and young companies, the subject of activity is primarily drama education and child theatre as a peculiar art field in the direct link to it. The company administration is participated by pedagogic and artistic workers, mainly graduates and student of art schools (DAMU, State Conservatoire, PFUK, FFUK).

Sources and literature:
A: Stavební archiv Mě části Praha 7

 

Tags: basement theatre, terraced house

 

Author: Markéta Svobodová

Translator: Jan Purkert

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fourminusthree=