/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database


James Wyatt

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)27.1.1772 | opening

(detail)1789 | alteration
converted into an opera house by James Wyatt.
(detail)1792 | fire

(detail)9.4.1795 | opening
The structure had been rebuilt and reopened with a masquerade.
(detail)1814 | closure

(detail)1834 | alteration
Converted to a bazaar by the architect Sydney Smirke.
(detail)1937 | demolition


James Wyatt |main architect
Sydney Smirke |architect


Pantheon was built by James Wyatt. This opened on 28 Apr. 1772, and was designed as an indoor Ranelagh or Vauxhall. It was a popular place for balls, routs, and particu­larly masquerades. On 17 Feb. 1791 it became an opera house, the King's, Wyatt again being responsible for the necessary alterations, and on 14 Jan. 1792 it was burnt down. Rebuilt, it opened on 9 Apr. 1795, again for masquerades and other entertainments, until after further alterations it reopened on 27 Feb. 1812 as the Pantheon Theatre. Trouble over its licence and further damage by fire kept it closed from 1814 until in 1834 it was replaced by the Pantheon Bazaar, which in 1867 became the head office of Gilbeys, the wine merchants. In 1937 it was sold to Marks & Spencer, who erected a store on the site.


In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.   ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 402



Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters