enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
Navegación Base de datos
EN

Pantheon

James Wyatt

Historia del teatrosuplementodatos técnicosEquipamiento histórico

eventos importantes

(Detalle)27.1.1772 | opening

(Detalle)1789 | alteration
converted into an opera house by James Wyatt.
(Detalle)1792 | fire

(Detalle)9.4.1795 | opening
The structure had been rebuilt and reopened with a masquerade.
(Detalle)1814 | closure

(Detalle)1834 | alteration
Converted to a bazaar by the architect Sydney Smirke.
(Detalle)1937 | demolition

Gente

James Wyatt |arquitecto principal
Sydney Smirke |arquitecto

Historia

Pantheon was built by James Wyatt. This opened on 28 Apr. 1772, and was designed as an indoor Ranelagh or Vauxhall. It was a popular place for balls, routs, and particu­larly masquerades. On 17 Feb. 1791 it became an opera house, the King's, Wyatt again being responsible for the necessary alterations, and on 14 Jan. 1792 it was burnt down. Rebuilt, it opened on 9 Apr. 1795, again for masquerades and other entertainments, until after further alterations it reopened on 27 Feb. 1812 as the Pantheon Theatre. Trouble over its licence and further damage by fire kept it closed from 1814 until in 1834 it was replaced by the Pantheon Bazaar, which in 1867 became the head office of Gilbeys, the wine merchants. In 1937 it was sold to Marks & Spencer, who erected a store on the site.

 

In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.   ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 402

 

 

Autor: Hartnoll Phyllis

Información adicional

Ninguna información se ha introducido todavía

Añadir información

Nombre: El nombre será publicado

Email: El email no será publicado

Información: por favor introducir información sobre este teatro, mínimo 10 caracteres

twopluseight=