enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Théâtre de la Renaissance

Charles de Lalande

alias Theatre Lyrique
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1873 | construction

People

History

The second Renaissance opened in 1873 on part of the site cleared by the burning of the Theatre de la Porte-Saint-Martin in 1871. A small theatre, it unwisely endeavoured to put on strong drama. This soon gave way to light operas, the most successful being those by Lecocq. Between 1884 and 1892 the theatre was in a bad way, passing through many hands, and finally it closed. Sarah Bernhardt, returning from a long tour abroad, took it over and made it successful, appearing there with Lucien Guitry and Coquelin aine. Among her successful productions were Rostand's La Princesse lointaine, Sudermann's Magda (both 1895), Mussel's Lorenzaccio (1896), and revivals of Racine's Phedre and the younger Dumas's La Dame aux camelias. In 1899 Bernhardt opened her own theatre and the Renaisance became the Theatre Lyrique, housing musical shows only.

 

In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.   ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 450

 

 

Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

twoplusfive=