enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
Navigazione: database
EN | HU | IT

Bárka Theatre

Storia del teatroSupplementodati tecniciHistoric equipment

Eventi importanti

(dettaglio)17.09.1999 | Opening

Storia

Architectural description

The building of Bárka Theatre consists of a former fencing room, now it’s called Cseh Tamás Hall, the lobby and coffee bar. To the lobby on the front is connected a windscreen, it is covered by a gabled roof, which compared to the other two roof heights is lower, therefore from the street three decreasing height mass can be seen.

The roof, above the windscreen, is held by two red painted columns, accentuating the entrance. The highest mass contains a 382 square metres large theatre space (fencing room) with 250 rows of seat. On the shorter side of the hall room, a sound and lightening gallery is running along the walls on 3, 60 meters height. Above this, on 8, 20 meters height, a steel gallery is running around.

On every floor changing rooms are connected to the theatre. The white plastered facade is articulated by nine pillars. The central axle is empty but on the left there are three, on the right, five circular ended windows. These openings are framed by plaster framing, slightly elevated from the wall-face.

The façade of the café is articulated by two openings, on the axis of the openings under the edge two circular windows provide light into the lobby and the cafe. Under the theatre space in the basement a studio stage was formed with the 110 rows of seats.

The facade from Orczy garden shows the same layout as the Üllői Street façade, with the difference that instead of the empty wall-face, the front door has been formed. Between the theatre and the Hungarian Natural History Museum an outdoor theatre, so called amphitheatre was formed with 400 rows of seat.

 

History

The large area was purchased by baron Lőrinc Orczy in 1789, but the park was shaped only by his son, Lőrinc, who built the most beautiful English garden in Budapest at the time, only finished at the beginning of the 19 century. In a very short time it became a fashionable spot for outings. In 1829 the garden was bought by the state and the Parliament decided to found the Hungarian Royal Honvéd Ludovica Academy there. The groundstone of the building complex was laid by palatine József in 1831, but the constructions of the Ludovica lasted until 1836. In 1880 the complex was refurbished and enlarged using the plans of József Kauser. After World War II the Kossuth Lajos Military Academy worked in the building for a while, then the bus garage of the Budapest Public Transport Company. The Alfa cinema was hosted in the former riding hall, which burned down, however, in 1992. One of the wings used to give space to the Hungarian Natural Sciences Museum.

The fencing hall situated in the Orczy garden was transformed into a theatre building based on the plans of architects Bálint Nagy and Éva Arnóti and of the interior designer Éva Magvári. The opening of the Bárka Theatre took place on 17th September 1999, the festive opening performance was A Midsummer Night’s Dream, directed by János Csányi, the theatre’s manager of that time. The theatre was founded by the Józsefváros self government in 1996, however not as a city theatre, but as a non-profit company. In the renovated building of Bárka there are 4 spaces: the Fencing hall (250 seats), the Studio (110 seats), the Coffee house (80 seats) and the Amphitheatre (400 seats).  

The distinct phases of the construction were followed by photographer Zsuzsa Koncz, resulting in a photo exhibition at the opening ceremony. János Csányi resigned from his managerial chair on 30 December 2005, followed by Róbert Alföldi in January 2006. From 1. March 2008 Bárka Theatre is lead by Zoltán Seress.

 

 

 

 

 

Informazioni aggiuntive

Non e stata ancora inserita nessuna informazione

Aggiungi informazioni

Nome: il nome sara pubblicato

Email: l'emal non sara pubblicata

informazioni: per favore inserisci le informazioni relative a questo teatro, almeno 10 caratteri

trepiùsei=