enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | CS | DE

National Theatre Sarajevo

Karel Pařík

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1921 | opening

People

Karel Pařík |main architect

History

This theatre building started its life in 1899 as a community centre for the Austrian ruling class, designed by Karla Paržik and including a multipurpose hall. For this reason, the auditorium looks more like a concert hall. But already for the inauguration, drama was offered: "Medea" by the Austrian classic Franz Grillparzer, in a guest performance by the theatre from Zagreb. The impressive facade with five entrances and the noble decoration of the auditorium testify to the wealth of the city around 1900. In 1921 the building became home of the National Theatre that had been founded only two years before, the first professional theatre company in Bosnia and Herzegovina. In 1946, the opera and ballet company joined the drama ensemble. The three ensembles perform from October to June.



Narodno pozorište Sarajevo · Obala Kulina bana 9 · 71 000 Sarajevo · Bosnia & Hercegovina
Tel. box office: +387 33 221 682 · Tel. marketing: +387 33 665 963 · E-mail: marketing(at)nps(dot)ba · http://nps.ba

Visits: on appointment

 

 

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

twoplustwo=