/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database

Victoria Palace

Frank Matcham

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)6.11.1911 | opening
It was designed by Frank Matcham. It opened with a variety entertainment which included Lizzie Glenroy, Betty Barclay, Herbert Sleath and company in a one-act play The Deputy Sheriff.



The theatre was built on the site of Moy's Music-Hall, which opened in about 1840. In 1863 it was redecorated and reopened on 26 Dec. as the Royal Standard Music-Hall. Demolished during the rebuilding of Victoria Station and Victoria Street, it was rebuilt in 1886 and continued its successful career until 1911. It was then replaced by the present building, which opened as the Victoria Palace on 6 Nov. 1911.


In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.   ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 578



Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters