/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database

Haymarket Theatre Royal

John Nash

alias Little Theatre
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)29.12.1720 | 1st theatre built
The Little Theatre in the HayMarket was opened with La Fille a la Mode, ou le Badaud de Paris.
(detail)4.7.1821 | 2nd theatre opening
The theatre was designed by John Nash. Opened with The Rivals by Richard Brinsley Sheridan, preceded by an Occasional Address delivered by Daniel Terry. Its interior was like a Neoclassical mansion crossed with Brighton Pavilion. It had an old-fashioned plan with straight sides, but the proscenium had columns ending in palm fronds, with the arch between them imitating the canopy of a tent.
(detail)1843 | Alteration

(detail)31.1.1880 | alteration
Auditorium rebuilt to the design by C. J. Phipps. Opened with a revival of Money by Bulwer Lytton.
(detail)2.1.1905 | re-opening
Opened with a transfer of Beauty and the Barge, a farce by W. W. Jacobs and Louis N. Parker, preceded by That Brute Simmons, a play in one act by Arthur Morrison and Herbert C. Sargent. After alteration to the design by C. Stanley Peach that rebuilt the interior.





Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters