enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | DE

Municipal Theatre

alias Stadttheater
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1853 | Opening

(detail)1979 | Reconstruction

History

This beautiful church with its simple building style and its impressive saddleback roof was consecrated in 1624. The church was profaned in 1785 and first used as a weapon cache, later as a coach house. Finally, in the first quarter of the 19th century, the church became a slaughterhouse.

No later than 1853, Braunau’s own town theater was accommodated in this building. In the following hundred years the theater society and different travelling companies used the building for their performances. Between 1939 and 1946 Braunau’s town theater was one of the official theaters of the region Oberdonau (later Upper Austria). However, it had to be closed due to dilapidation in the middle of the 1960ies and was then fully renovated. In 1979 Braunau’s town theater was reopened for the Great Upper Austrian Exhibition.
Today the theater is closed due to new fire regulations.

From: www.tourismus-braunau.at

 

 

 

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

threeplusone=