enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | CS | DE

Theatre hall of the Benedictine abbey

alias Theatersaal der Benediktinerabtei
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1726 | construction
constructed in 1715-26 by P. Christoph Vogt.
(detail)1873 | Reconstruction
stage restauration

People

History

Ottobeuren began to gain in importance when the baroque abbey was built, to which a theatre hall was added in 1725. Under the guidance of Benedictine monks, monastery scholars performed Christian plays as was customary in the 17th and 18 centuries in many monasteries. Nowadays, only two of these school theatres are preserved, Ottobeuren being the oldest of them. Although the theatre hall with its ceiling paintings, frescos and stuccos is no longer playable, it is part of the tour through the function rooms of the monastery.



Klostermuseum Ottobeuren • Sebastian-Kneipp-Straße 1 • 87724 Ottobeuren • Germany • +49 (0)8332 798-0 • pforte@abtei-ottobeuren.de • www.abtei-ottobeuren.de



Visits: from Palm Sunday to All Saints’ Day (1st November), daily from 10am-12pm and 2-5pm. Last entrance 20 minutes before closure.
Limited opening times in winter.

 

 

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

nineminusthree=