enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Opernhaus in Salvatorplatz

Francesco Santurini

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1657 | opening

(detail)1685 | alteration
In 1685 it had been remodelled by the Italian architects Domenico and Gasparo Mauro. The Elector's box is its most conspicuous feature, the parterre still being left open so that the action could come forward 'in the round' if desired.
(detail)1795 | demolition

People

History

In the decade after the Thirty Years' War, German and Austrian princes began providing themselves with theatres and opera houses. That at Munich, the Opernhaus in Salvatorplatz, built by a local baumeister in collaboration with the Venetian Francesco Santurini, was actually the first German theatre outside the walls of a palace. It was old-fashioned by Italian standards, but three galleries and a royal box were added in 1685 by Mauro.

 

In: Tidworth, Simon : Theatres: An Illustrated History. London 1973 p. 74

 

 

Author: Simon Tidworth

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

threeplusfive=