enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Groser Redoutensaal

Giovanni Battista Carlone

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1630 | opening
(detail)1651 | alteration
(detail)1659 | alteration
(detail)19.7.1699 | fire
(detail)1705 | opening
(detail)40. 's 18. century | construction
(detail)1748 | opening
(detail)1760 | alteration
(detail)1772 | alteration
(detail)1788 | alteration
(detail)1921 | alteration
(detail)1973 | alteration
(detail)26.11.1992 | fire
(detail)90. 's 20. century | alteration

People

Giovanni Battista Carlone |main architect
(detail)Lodovico Ottavio Burnacini |architect
Giovanni Burnacini Sr |architect
Ferdinand Kirschner |architect
Manfred Wehdorn |architect

History

Giovanni Batista Carione constructed this room, called Newe Saal oder Danz Plaz zu Hoff, along with a smaller hall in 1629-30. It was renovated several times (e.g. by Francesco Galli Bibiena in 1698) and after 1720 was called Grosses Hoftheater. The large hall (51.3 x 19m.) was used for opera performances until 1744. In 1747 Antonio Calli-Bibiena converted it into a ballroom (called the Redoutensaal). The large room (now called Grosser Redoutensaat) seats about 1500 (with a reverberation of 1.4 seconds). Until 1870 this was the largest concert hall in Vienna. The small room (now called Kleiner Redoutensaal) seats about 400.

 

In: Harer, Ingeborg (1995) "Musical Venues in Vienna, Seventeenth Century to the Present,"Performance Practice Review: Vol. 8: No. 1, Article 8.

 

 

Author: Ingeborg Harer

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fiveminusfour=

loading