enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Princess's Theatre

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)30.9.1840 | opening of the first theatre
Opened on 30 Sept. 1840 for concerts and later had been used as an opera-house.
(detail)19.5.1880 | closure
Closed on 19 May 1880 and later demolished.
(detail)6.11.1880 | opening
The new Royal Princess's opened on 6 Nov. 1880 with Edwin Booth as Hamlet.
(detail)X.10.1902 | demolition
The theatre closed in Oct. 1902. Three years later it became a warehouse, and in 1931 it was demolished, a Woolworths being built on the site.

People

(detail)William George Robert Sprague |architect

It is perhaps not generally realized that almost all of London's superbly intimate turn-of-the-century playhouses were designed by one man; Sprague was the architect of Wyndham's (1899), the Albery (1903; see colour plate Vi), the Strand (1905), the Aldwych (1905), the Globe (1906), the Queen's (1907), the Ambassadors (1913) and the St Martin's (1916). He also designed several other theatres in the London area, most of which have been destroyed. The Coronet (1898), now the Gaumont Cinema in Netting Hill Gate, and the Camden (1901) in Camden Town still survive, though under threat of demolition. The Edward VII in Paris, though apparently extremely French, was also designed by Sprague.

 

In:  Glasstone, Victor: Victorian and Edwardian Theatres: An Architectural and Social Survey. Harvard 1975 p. 104

More theatres

History

 

 

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

sevenplustwo=