enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Prince's Theatre

Edward Salomons

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)15.10.1864 | opening
Opened with a performance of Shakespeare's The Tempest.
(detail)1869 | Alteration
The interior was extensively rebuilt by Alfred Darbyshire in 1869.
(detail)1940 | Demolition

People

History

Besides the carriage-way, the Italianate facade of the Prince of Wales's is interesting in that its arches contain, not only pedestrian entrances to the stalls boxes and the pit circle, but also two shops, one of which led to extensive supper-rooms. The lions' heads above the lamps on the pilasters were in fact ventilation apertures. The architect was at pains to provide better ventilation than hitherto by using an elaborate system of air shafts converging above the central chandelier. Even the complicated stage machinery was much improved; it was now driven by an engine and a boiler, situated on a level below the understage machinery-floor. The old system of visible footlights was replaced by an enamelled-iron box-trough set into the stage floor, a novelty which subsequently became the norm.

 

In:  Glasstone, Victor: Victorian and Edwardian Theatres: An Architectural and Social Survey. Harvard 1975 p. 43

 

 

Author: Victor Glasstone

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

nineplusthree=