/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1608 | opening

(detail)20. 's 17. century | closure


Whitefriars was a small private playhouse in the refectory hall of the Whitefriars monastery, situated near the present Bouverie Street. It was adapted in the style of the first Blackfriars Theatre by Thomas Woodford and Michael Drayton in about 1608. Among the plays produced there were Nathan Field's A Woman is a Weathercock (1609) and John Marston's The Insatiate Countess (1610). It was still in use in 1621 but its later history is obscure. Pepys, in his diary for 1660, records a visit there to see Massinger's The Bondman, one of his favourite plays, but he may have meant Salisbury Court, which replaced it in 1629 and with which it is sometimes confused.



Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters