enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1576 | opening

People

James Burbage |Commissioned by

History

Blackfriars Theatre was the name given to two separate theatres located in the former Blackfriars Dominican priory in the City of London during the Renaissance. The first theatre began as a venue for the Children of the Chapel Royal, child actors associated with the Queen's chapel choirs who from 1576 to 1584 staged plays in the vast hall in the former monastery.  The second theatre dates from the purchase of the upper part of the priory and another building by James Burbage in 1596, which included the Parliament Chamber on the upper floor that was converted into the playhouse. The Children of the Chapel played in the theatre beginning in the fall of 1600 until the King's Men took over in 1608. They successfully used it as their winter playhouse until all the theatres were closed in 1642 when the English Civil War began.

 

 

 

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fiveminusfour=