enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

The Royal Pavilion Theatre

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1858 | opening

(detail)1934 | closure

History

The Royal Pavilion Theatre, Whitechapel Road (1858; 36), designed by G. H. Simmonds, was known as the Drury Lane of the East, probably because the giant order containing three stage boxes overlooking the forestage was reminiscent of Beazley's 1822 reconstruction of Drury Lane. The magnificent auditorium was designed to hold 3,000 people; the majority of the audience was poor, and hence its immense gallery with cheaply-priced seats.

 

In: Glasstone, Victor: Victorian and Edwardian Theatres: An Architectural and Social Survey. Harvard 1975 p. 38

 

 

Author: Victor Glasstone

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fourplusfour=