/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database

Folies-Dramatiques (Boulevard du Temple)

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1832 | opening

(detail)1862 | closure



This was built on the site of the first Ambigu-Comique, which was destroyed by fire in 1827. It opened with melodrama on 22 Jan. 1831 and had a successful career, catering mainly for a local audience with short runs of patriotic and melodramatic plays by the Cogniard brothers, Comberousse, de Kock, Theaulon, and others. In 1834 the great actor Frederick had one of his first successes at this theatre in his own play Robert Macaire. When the Boulevard du Temple was demolished in 1862 a new Folies-Drama-tiques was built in the rue de Bondy, which became a home of light musical shows.


In: Hartnoll, Phyllis, ed. The concise Oxford companion to the theatre. 1st ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1972.  ISBN 0-19-281102-9. p. 184


Tags: Boulevard du Temple


Author: Hartnoll Phyllis

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters