enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Citizen's Theatre

James Sellars, Douglas Campbell

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1878 | construction

People

James Sellars |main architect
Douglas Campbell |main architect

History

The Citizens Theatre in Glasgow is fortunate to have surviving Victorian theatre machinery including a rare paint frame. The paint frame allows scene painters to move huge canvases up and down with ease to paint backcloths for sets, and it would once have been a common feature in producing theatres. At the Citizens it remains in use to this day. The façade of the Citizens Theatre was destroyed in 1977 and the current yellow-brick street elevation was added in 1989. Behind the 1989 extension you can clearly see the gabled elevation of the earlier theatre, which was originally Her Majesty’s Theatre and was rebuilt in 1878 and reopened as the Royal Princess’s Theatre. It was leased in 1945 to the Citizens Theatre who have since remained there. The auditorium contains two horseshoe-shaped balconies supported by cast-iron columns. It also retains a raked stage, one which slopes downwards towards the auditorium. This was a common feature in early theatres, and it was designed to improve the view for the audience of the action on the stage and to aid the projection of sound from it.

 

In: Acting with confidence. Scotland's theatre architecture. ISBN: 978-1-84917-038-3. p. 36

 

 

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

eightminustwo=