enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ czHlavní menu
EN | CS | HU

Drury Lane Theatre

historie divadlaPřílohytechnické údajehistorické vybavení

významné události

(zobrazit)7.5.1663 | opening
Opened with The Humorous Lieutenant by Beaumont and Fletcher.
(zobrazit)26.3.1674 | Opening
Opened as the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane with The Beggar's Bush by Beaumont and Fletcher.
(zobrazit)1775 | Alteration
The auditorium was reconstructed by Robert Adam.
(zobrazit)12.3.1794 | reconstruction
Opened with a Concert of Sacred Music. Rebuilt by Henry Holland.
(zobrazit)10.10.1812 | reconstruction
Rebuilt by Benjamin Dean Wyatt. Opened with an address by Lord Byron, delivered by R. W. Elliston, followed by Hamlet and a musical farce The Devil to Pay.
(zobrazit)1822 | Alteration

By 1822 it was realized that Wyatťs 33-foot proscenium was too narrow for the width of the house, and the entire auditorium was then virtually rebuilt by Samuel Beazley. Although the semicircular brick constructional frame was retained,the tiers were now reshaped to form a horseshoe, in the eighteenth-century Italian manner. The stage opening was widened and on each side a giant order of Corinthian columns, supporting an entablature, was built to frame the three new stage boxes - again a feature common in eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Continental theatres.

IN:  Glasstone, Victor: Victorian and Edwardian Theatres: An Architectural and Social Survey. Harvard 1975 p. 13

 


(zobrazit)1831 | Alteration
A colonnade was added on Russell Street front by Samuel Beazley.
(zobrazit)1901 | alteration

Major reconstruction was made in 1901 by Philip Pilditch. The old theatre was then given the opulent look of turn-of-the-century Baroque: 'The tiers were reconstructed with steel girders and concrete floors, using only a front row of pillars to support them. Two rows of seats were added to each tier, and the box parapets were brought forward.' This made the house more intimate.

IN: Glasstone, ibid. p.15
(zobrazit)1922 | alteration

In 1921-2, as a last flamboyant tribute to the by now defunct tradition of the Victorian-into-Edwardian theatre, the auditorium of Drury Lane was again rebuilt. Wyatťs circular walls were finally demolished by J. Emblin Walker and Associates. The four shallow tiers surmounted by their old uncomfortable gallery were replaced by three immense and steeply raked balconies, their cantilevers constructed of steel and reinforced concrete. The new decorations were intended to echo the late Georgian of the foyers, but they are in fact in the stiff and uncompromising manner of the Roman style with which Edwardian theatre architecture ended its days.

IN:  Glasstone, ibid. p.15


lidé

historie

Drury Lane bylo jedním z nejdůležitějších divadel Londýna až do konce 17. století. Typický anglický parter nebyl rovný jako ten francouzský, ale svažoval se směrem k jevišti, aby diváci měli lepší výhled, navíc byl opatřen lavicemi. Jeviště bylo rozděleno portálem na dvě stejné části. Předscéna vybíhala do prostoru hlediště. Jeviště se zvedalo od předscény až k zadnímu kraji. Londýnská divadla 17. stol. byla poměrně nízkokapacitní. Na obrázku je znázorněna podoba divadla v roce 1808. jedná se o Sheridanovu přestavbu.

 

 

Autor: Simon Tidworth

Dodatečné informace

Žádné informace nebyly zatím vloženy

přidej data

Jméno: jméno bude publikováno

Váš email nebude publikován

Data: prosím, vložte data o tomto divadle, minimálně 10 znaků

osmplusčtyři=