/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database

Theatre of the Comic-Ambiguity

alias Théâtre de l’Ambigu-Comique
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)9.7.1769 | opening

(detail)13.7.1827 | fire



"This theatre was constructed under the direction of M. Celerier. The plan is regular, but the building is not detached. The front is composed of a basement pierced with three arcades, surmounted by arched windows, separated from each other by four Ionic columns, which support an entablature with medallions, extending the whole length of the front. The attic is adorned with a bas-relief in arabesques, and the whole crowned with a pediment, in which is a semicircular window.   The extent of the front is augmented by two symmetrical wings. The vestibule is small.   The saloon is neatly decorated.

The form of the house is elliptical. It contains three tiers of boxes, including one which encircles the pit. The boxes are separated by light pillars which support Gothic arches, surmounted by a frieze decorated in a kind of florid Gothic style. Above the cornice is a range of small columns, supporting the ceiling; and behind is a spacious circular gallery. The front of the first tier of boxes presents a Gothic balustrade of stone colour, enriched with gold upon a blue ground. That of the second is decorated with draperies of purple and gold. The ceiling is scarlet, richly ornamented in the Gothic style. The curtain, as well as the house, was painted by M. Daguerre. The scenery is the best in Paris. This house contains nearly sixteen hundred spectators. "


In:  Whittaker, G. B.: The History of Paris from the Earliest Period to the Present Day: Vol. II. London, 1825 p. 519 - 520 



Author: G. B Whittaker

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters