enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Conservatoire National Supérieur d'Art Dramatique

Marcel Delannoy

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1811 | opening

People

Marcel Delannoy |main architect

History

"This theatre, which forms the angle of the rue du Faubourg Poissonniere and the rue Bergere, is devoted to the exercises of the pupils, who receive their lessons in the spacious rooms of the school.
At the bottom of the court is an open vestibule formed of three rows of arcades, which leads to an inner vestibule, seventy feet in length by thirty-one in breadth, the ceiling of which is supported by twelve Doric columns. The pavement is of black and white marble, and the vestibule is decorated with mirrors, and statues of the Muses.
At the extremity of the vestibule are arcades, which afford access to the public saloon and library. The latter contains of nearly seven thousand volumes, chiefly upon musical science, declamation, and musical instruments, ancient and modern. The arcades lead also to an elegant saloon, which communicates with the royal box. Above the entrance to this saloon is a bas-relief twenty-five feet in length by four in height, representing Minerva crowning the fine arts. In the spandrils of the arch are two figures of Fame supporting the royal arms. On each side of the staircase is a picture, by Serrangelli, fifteen feet in height by twelve in breadth, the one representing the Descent of Orpheus to the Infernal Regions, and the other, Sophocles confounding his son before the Areopagus, by reading his tragedy of Oedipus.
The form of the house is a square, terminated by a semi-circle. It is forty-three feet in length by thirty-two in breadth, and is decorated with fluted composite columns. It contains three tiers of boxes exclusive of the baignoires, and is painted in imitation of white marble. The fronts of the boxes present green draperies. The royal box is hung with green damask. The ceiling is ornamented in arabesques, and the proscenium with cameos representing Pan, Thalia, Apollo, Melpomene, and Arion.  The curtain is a rich drapery in ample folds. This theatre is occasionally converted into a concert-room, by fixing columns, etc. at the front of the stage, to correspond with the semicircular part of the house. "

 

In:  Whittaker, G. B.: The History of Paris from the Earliest Period to the Present Day: Vol. II. London, 1825 p. 484 - 486

 

 

Author: G. B Whittaker

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

eightplustwo=