enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Le Cirque-Olympique

alias Théâtre du Cirque, Cirque Franconi
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1782 | opening

(detail)1826 | fire

History

"It is fifty-seven feet in diameter, and is surrounded by sixteen light columns, thirty-five feet in height, which support the ceiling. Behind these columns is a spacious gallery, above which are three other galleries, besides a range of baignoires.

The decoration of the house consists of combats and military trophies. The ceiling is a vela, the sides of which are formed of lances, and the intervals occupied alternately by trophies and the figures of warriors of the middle ages. The house is lighted up by five lustres. The circus forms a sandy arena, in which the equestrian exercises take place, and which serves occasionally to augment the pomp of the military spectacles, by receiving the troops which cannot be drawn up on the stage, to which it is joined by a gentle declivity. "

 

IN:  Whittaker, G. B.: The History of Paris from the Earliest Period to the Present Day: Vol. II. London, 1825 p. 523

 

 

Author: G. B Whittaker

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fourpluseight=