enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN

Théâtre de la Société Olympique

Louis-Emmanuel-Aimé Damesme

history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)30.1.1801 | opening

(detail)1816 | closure

People

History

"The front of the edifice was ornamented with small Ionic columns, and a bas-relief representing two genii supporting a lyre. The gate led into a court surrounded by a peristyle of the Doric order, which gave access to a magnificent vestibule, the ceiling of which was supported by a double range of Doric columns. From the vestibule two stair-cases led to a spacious and elegant saloon. The form of the house was a prolonged semicircle. The second tier of boxes was supported by fourteen can at ides, and the third by a range of light Corinthian columns. A fourth tier was contrived in the ceiling. The ornaments were in good taste, and the harmony of the light colours with which it was painted produced an agreeable effect. This house was forty-one feet in length, thirty-four in breadth, and forty-two in height."

 

In:  Whittaker, G. B.: The History of Paris from the Earliest Period to the Present Day: Vol. II. London, 1825 p. 513 - 514

 

 

Author: G. B Whittaker

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

eightplussix=