enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | SK

Bratislavské bábkové divadlo

alias Štátne bábkové divadlo, Robotnícky dom
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)17.4.1957 | opening

History

Professional puppet shows in Slovakia, was formed in the decade between 1950-1960. Its establishment was initiated by Theatre law  from 1948, which was nationalization of all kinds of theater. Originally amateur puppet theatre (with the exception of Nitra) is gradually transformed into a professional. First arose puppet theaters in Žilina (1950) and Nitra (1951), but initially operated at drama scenes. As the first independent puppet on a professional basis started to operate froom 1957 Theatre in Bratislava. Only then, in 1959 and 1960, was the establishment of the last two, in Kosice and Banska Bystrica. Basis emerging Puppet Theatre in Bratislava were former members of the Children's Theatre and other amateur film scene. Officially started there first March 1957 as National Puppet Theatre, the first premiere took place 17th April (J. Čapek: O psíčkovi and the Pussy Cat). Today's title bears the Bratislava Puppet Theatre from 1 September 2002.

Already since the beginning of the puppet performers  as one of the main drawbacks experienced lack of theatrical spaces. Puppeteers not initially own the building and its lack of them forcing rotate several makeshift spaces. Definitively established the theater has become a building to house the former Workers' Danube Street, which formerly housed a dance group Lúčnica. Both institutions have initially taken the building together until Lúčnica relocation to another building. Age and poor maintenance of buildings, however, only a few years to show its technical condition. In 1971, a breach of the roof structure, which led to the immediate effect of the shutdown. Puppeteers were again forced to find makeshift solutions in other areas. Meanwhile, since the eighties, took place in the former building renovated, but it just absolutely solve operational problems. In the circumstances, was born the idea of rebuilding the theater generous associated with the construction of the complex for children.

Probably already in 1979, Stae puppet theatre in Planning Institute of Culture (the main designer Vojtech Fifík) a study to restore the theater building, authorized by the Ministry of Culture and SSR under which recommended continuing the preparatory work. The study proposed theater features connection object to establish a permanent museum exposure, promoting the traditions of the labor movement. Should use the original priestory theaters on the ground floor (for permanent exhibition), which might be incurred over a modern four-storey extension to the needs of puppet theater with a theater hall for 321 spectators, the other playing space (so-called games for fairy tales), clubs and public or technical professional premises. Aspect should be in addition to seats in the pit and built a balcony used for drama performances combined with live actors. The implementation of such ideas being discontinued, but the idea and in particular the need to build adequate facilities for the operation of the theater alive. In 1987 the Government ordered a puppet theater as an investor in the Project of the Institute of Culture stopper new architectural study, which was to examine the feasibility of a new building of the State Puppet Theatre site Dunajska street. Study architects Victoria Cvengrošovej and Virgil Droppa proposed construction of the building itself not only theater but also appropriate treatment all around the needs and interests of child viewers. Consider establishing a pedestrian zone across the Danube Street, which had dominated the middle part of the theater building, playground and other children's play areas, shops and confectioneries. Using a small architecture, plastic art-fairytale motifs and green should be created a complex environment "for the youngest children in the urban organism" that would evoke "reverse fairy background and atmosphere of fantasy in the context of real architecture and the wider urban context." [Cvengrošová Victoria Droppa Virgil : National Puppet Theatre in Bratislava, in: Project, Volume XXXI, 1989, No. 4, p. 26-27, here p. 26th] Furthermore, the study allowed for the construction of buildings šesťpodlažnej Theatre (5 above ground and 1 underground floor) near the old building of the State Puppet Theatre on the area of 0.46 ha, released deprived rehabilitation of older buildings. The original puppet theater space after the completion of new buildings should serve as an experimental facility for amateur ensembles, where the purpose of the Academy of Performing Arts. The new building envisaged the establishment of two scenes, and classic with a capacity of 304 seats and experimental for 120 spectators, in addition to the outdoor stage and room for artistic children. Makeshift old building had finally replace good operational background, and in addition there is also planned to establish a puppet museum. Circular aspect of the main hall, put on the turntable, it allows rotation of 45 ° on both sides. Stage experimental hall will be applied in the middle sector of the heart-shaped seating rows. Estimated construction schedule allowed for completion of construction until 1995, political changes at the end of 80-ies, however, construction nepriali. The realization of the generous plan, not a puppet theater continues to operate in the original premises of the former Workers' House.

The object of the Bratislava Puppet Theatre is situated approximately half the Danube street, ramp, initially forming the outer suburbs in close proximity outside the city walls. Street originated from 14 progressive century buildings around the road leading into the fields to the east of the city becomes. In the first half of the 15th century, there stood one of the city gates, called. Danube, forming the outer part of city walls [Danube area. Wider territorial relations - historical development of the region.; Szonyi, Andrew: So growing Bratislava. The development of architecture and building in Bratislava, Pallas, Bratislava 1978]. Construction continued up to 20 continuous century, while there was a gradual replacement of older buildings with new ones. Around the turn of the 19th and 20 century, or until the twenties of the 20th century built here and Workers Association headquarters building "first" (Worker's House). [The object of the information vary. Inventory of monuments in Slovakia rise buildings dating back to the 20-ies of the 20th century restoration study sites in 1980 indicates a period of 90-s of the 19th century and study the historical development of the area mentions the existence of structures already in 1900. - Hardcover: Number of sites in Slovakia, Volume I, AJ, Slovak Institute of Monuments of care and protection of nature, Bratislava 1967; Project Institute of Culture. Recovery study sites, developed Ing. Arch. V. Smarts, Ing. Števko, Hrušík, Step, 1980, Danube area. Wider territorial relations - historical development of the territory.]. The building is situated on a narrow footprint irregular rectangle, tucked in a basket at an angle to the rowhouse and vnútroblokového space. Entrance facade from the street bears the only demanding artistic expression. Is a four-storey, divided by five axes of window openings. Emphasis is placed on the lowest floor, emphasizing bosážovou finish wall, separate from other ongoing string courses. In the second window position axis is situated on the ground floor main entrance to the theater, the operational input is applied equally from the front facade, and in extreme position, the fifth axis of the window. Upper floors divided into regular grid of rectangular window openings with flat ribbonwork. Other area has a smooth plaster walls. Color range is tuned facade in white and pink tone, pink and stresses throughout the lower floor and window ribbonwork.

The internal layout of the theater is solved relatively easily. Front of the narrow width of the elongated floor plan in the three axes of the front facade window takes dramatic foyer with an adjacent room for the treasure. The southwestern part of the object is located overhead, center-mounted initially in a small open Court today overlapped corrugated plastic. Core area between the foyer and underpass takes cash already mentioned, staircase to first floor and narrow hallway with bathrooms, foyer with interconnecting inner courtyard. Object originally had apartments on higher floors, accessible via a stairway from the inner court. After adjusting their uses theater to its administrative, operational and technical needs. The four-storey part of this force is also added to the depth of a theater, occupying two floors height.

Foyer of the theater in 2005 was modified as proposed by the artist and set designer and theater František Lipták and Beáta Zázrivcovej. The cold store entrance hall with stairs floor and white plaster walls naaranžovali puppets and props from the theater fundus, close to the children a space and the very character of the building. In a similar vein, bears a painting on the wall separating the foyer of the theater hall.

Unlike the entrances to a theater, still preserve the original appearance of the reconstruction period of 80-ies. Height staggered rows of seats are positioned in parallel rows on the ground floor level. Balcony absent. Lateral wall light, profiled soffit with convex concave lines, like portal proscenium type are lined with wood paneling. Capacity is 161 seats. 


 

 

 

Author: Viera Dlhánová

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

threeplusnine=