enczsksiplhudeitsvhrespt
/ enMain menu 
Navigation:  Theatre Database
EN | SK

Bábkové divadlo Košice (Rooseweltova ul.)

alias Židovské kasíno
history of the theatresupplementtechnical dataHistoric equipment

Important events

(detail)1910 | construction

History

Shaping the Slovak professional theater was happening  from the twenties of the last century in several intervals. As the first professional theatre was estblished under the auspices of the Slovak National Theatre in Bratislava (1920) and  Košice (1924),  for reasons of financial, personnel, and last but not least, the absence of a deeper tradition of this process was quite lengthy. The definitive consolidation of the position of the Slovak National Theatre occurred in the thirties of the 20th century. The second wave of professionalism in Slovak theater occurred in the forties and especially after World War II. In 1948 the Ministry of Education and theater education law, which was the nationalization of all kinds of theater. It opened a wide path towards the creation of theatrical institutions with regional coverage throughout Slovakia. First arose in 1944 theaters in Martin and Presov, Nitra follow their cities (1949), Elected (1949), Žilina (1950), Komarno (1952), Ves (1957), Banská Bystrica (1959), Trnava ( 1960) and others. This will create a network of drama and opera troupes, able to meet the cultural demands of the entire territory. The focus of these institutions, based largely on an adult audience, but neglected the child viewer, and so from early 50's of 20th century in Slovakia can be monitored for the emergence of specialized theaters for children. Initially it was only the puppet theater (Žilina 1950, Nitra 1951, Bratislava 1957, Košice 1959, Banská Bystrica 1960), by the seventies Drama Theatre (Trnava 1974, Ves 1979). 

Kosice puppeteers was 17th June 1959 entitled "Puppet Theatre Košice and the same name still used today. Since its appearance in [The current state of the material-technical base of puppet theater in Košice. In: Puppet Theatre, Košice, Roosweltova 1: Locality program of puppet theater in Košice, 25 March 1982. Annex to the reconstruction of the local BD Košice, 27.12.1982, Anton developed soul. Archive Memorials Office in Kosice Manchester, sign. No. Z/129. , Košice, Puppet Theatre. Project task. Part A - the accompanying report. Archive Memorials Office in Košice, sign. No. Z/134/93.], Where since 1962 [Update list of national cultural heritage, to manipulate Mgr. Duran, August 2004. Regional Monuments Board Košice] have used the former federal building Jewish casino from the early 20th century, they have adapted to their needs. In the eighties, after many years of building needed to use a thorough restoration, which led to preparatory work on its reconstruction. Leadership of the theater at that time (1986) temporarily moved into the premises of the former Masonic Lodge. Reconstruction and later also envisaged reconstruction of the original building is constantly delayed by up to him ultimately to the theater came restitution proceedings (1995). The object returned by the original owner, but is currently unused and rabble. Puppet theater remained in the premises of the former Masonic lodge in the vicinity lying burgher houses, which passed during the second half of the 90-ies adaptation for the purpose of theater.

Original building puppet theater on Roosevelt Street in Košice in 1910 had main purpose to raise cultural society Kosice social circle designed by the architect Kolomana Beck [or Bock. Authors Publications Architecture of Slovakia in the 20th century, however, cautioned that the authorship is uncertain. - Matthew Dulla, Moravčíková Henry: Architecture of Slovakia in the 20th century, Slovart, 2002, p. 310]. Commonly known as the Jewish name for a casino.

The emergence of federal institutions is similar to a typical soil of Hungary for the whole 19th century. Commonly called the closed society major population center - nobles, landowners, officials, intelligence and, later, townspeople - which together meet at them in designated areas. Hungary in the first casino reportedly came just in Slovakia, in Bratislava in 1925 [Dudeková Gabriela: Voluntary association in Slovakia in the past [accessible on the Internet: H: \ Theatre \ literature \ kosice puppet \ Gabriela Dudeková - VOLUNTARY POOLING IN SLOVAKIA IN THE PAST . mht, 26.1.2011]] in the next decade, it added many more throughout Hungary. They mostly German and Hungarian character, has the nationality of the higher strata of the population, which accounted for their membership. Therefore, their activities were often used to pomaďarčovanie non-national population.

Besides the basic functions of interpersonal contacts to perform this function and cultural organizations and educational enlightenment (lectures, exhibitions, libraries), in more than one occasion, however, give the organization of theater and dance entertainment. Therefore, if financially stronger clubs decided to place renting space to build their own buildings, missing them even more in the assembly hall. Therefore, in the later period there were just adaptations of such buildings for the needs of cinema, or theater (eg, large casino in Manchester).

Assembly hall on the second floor also had a Jewish building casinos, in addition to federal and rooms and there was coffee. The building was built in the rowhouse as a four-winged building on a rectangular floor plan with an open inner courtyard. He has two above ground and one underground floor. The basement was used for storage of food and beverages, and coal boiler. The front wing on the ground floor level are stretched large central hall cafeterias. On the left side bar was located, accessible directly from the street and right-hand corridor, staircase leading to the hall in the side, the west wing. Fore wing discontinued from the inner court, oblong room lockers for club members and their guests. In the staircase hall and continue west side wing caretaker dwelling and small staircase in the south-west corner of the building. The entire rear wing consisted of different-sized living areas, accessible from the yard. Eastern side wing served as a warehouse and kitchen. Top floor front wing occupied room, the other wings of likely serve for federal action, did not retain the original floor plans appointed them can not be specified.

Facades, oriented toward the street signs bearing geometric secession. Is a two-storey, 5-axis, divided in 2 and 4 window axis protruding buttresses with gables with selected ukončujúcimi oblúčikmi on both sides. Gable roof over their terminated with bell lantern roof. Horizontal broken her plinth and string courses with zuborezom between the first and second floors. Attic is finished with a hint balustrádového walls, interrupted at the second and 4 Window axis in the said bay and gables. Façade divided into a regular rhythm of rectangular window openings, by the extremes of the axes on the ground floor entrances. These inputs are above the upper cross-beam rectangular skylight, divided vertically into three parts. Skylight on the eastern extremity of the axis frames plain architraves, the second skylight has acanthus leaf band, highlighting the importance of the main entrance. The three windows mounted longitudinally into shallow niches have regular vertical and horizontal division of the six window panes. Widest - middle window opening is smooth and šambránu. Skylights above the outer axis and the middle windows are still smooth suprafenestrové belts. Window openings of the upper deck have the same rectangular shape and substantially vertical orientation, which supports the lintel of their connection with skylights. Lintel dividing wall between the window and skylight has oblú form cutaway bottom edge as a donkey back. And the upper deck windows broken subtle vertical and horizontal bars at 6 panes, skylights are divided into three pillars more robust, in the case of the middle of five parts. Window openings and outer intermediate vertical frame the axis of scallops, the scallops are protruding buttresses extended until trailing shields. The lower part of the facade around the middle of the ground floor, in the case buttresses up to middle of the second floor, divides strip rustication, using the same also in the upper quintile výšky facades. Smaller thermal windows broken and all four sides of the lantern bodies.

After the expropriation of Jewish property and the allocation of Košice Košice puppet theater building was inappropriate for unspecified modifications in the interior to the main building was erected on the southern side of single-storey building closet [Update list of national cultural heritage, to manipulate Mgr. Duran, August 2004. Archive Memorials Office in Manchester.]. Despite the adjustments made, the building did not suit the needs of the theater, which led in 1967 to the idea of constructing a new building. Studio set design institute in Prague developed project plan, but the idea has not been implemented. About ten years later it appeared again, this time in the form of the planned construction of the cultural-social center, particularly to cover the Kosice puppeteers. The planned construction was also influenced by access to an existing building, which despite the poor state of doing only the essential repairs and adaptations. About her thorough reconstruction was decided only in the 80-ies, when an entry in the list of buildings of national cultural monuments of the city of Kosice and it was also clear that there still remain puppeteers. Capacity problems at the same time nadhodili question of extension of the original building a modern extension. After developing several alternatives, počítajúcich of varying degrees of damage to historic buildings and their recovery is finally decided that during the construction work there is a reconstruction of the north wing, wings demolishing gallant in their entirety and their replacement five storey new building (4 overhead), including the Court's internal . Orientation theater space be rotated 90 degrees in the north-south direction, with the perspective that it was in theaters and spaces of the former aspect is established in the former courtyard. Aspect should have a capacity of 200 seats in the adult form dvojsedadiel, which, if the child viewer to provide sufficient space for three people and therefore capacity for children's productions should be increased to 300 seats. Double folding seating section to adjust the seat height so as to provide sufficient height for small children. In a modern building of the service should build a theater and office space, cafeteria and club rooms. Premises entrance hall and changing rooms are intended for alternative use and performance.

 

 

Author: Viera Dlhánová

Additional information

No information has yet been entered

Add information

Name: The name will be published

Email: The email will not be published

Information: Please enter information about this theatre, at least 10 characters

fiveplustwo=